Monday, October 22, 2012
I had a good balance of negative and positive space. I think I had unity because it all came together and looked like one print, not individual prints. I had good contrast with the butterfly and the background.
2. How did you add texture and contrast to your print? Is this important? Why?
I added texture by cutting out different pieces in the linoleum. I added contrast by keeping white spaces and adding black spaces. This is important because there wouldn't be a design without it.
3. Explain how you used positive and negative space to show your image.
Positive and negative space was used to separate the flowers to the dragonflies. It was also used to add contrast and texture. The negative space actually made the flowers and the dragonfly while the positive added contrast and color.
4. Describe the craftsmanship of your print.
I think my drawing of the print was really good, but the actual print wasn't that good. I think I messed up cutting because the dragonfly was hard to control the knife and get the round shapes.
5. Were you able to achieve depth by showing a foreground, middle ground, and background? Explain.
I only had a background, but I still think I had depth. I didn't really need a foreground or a middle ground because the dragonfly was just sitting on a bed of flowers. It added depth because some flowers were positive space and others were negative space.
6. Explain your experience with printmaking. What were the obstacles and advantages?
It was hard to cut out all the pieces. It was to get all the rounded shapes. I don't think their were really any advantages.
Thursday, October 4, 2012
1. Why is texture so important to have in your sketches?
It is important to have texture in your sketches because then when you make the final print, it will be defined and your animal won't get lost in the print. Texture also makes the print look more realistic instead of childish. Texture makes your work look less boring and plain and more interesting.
2. Why is it neccessary for you to have several references of each animal and each background? Explain.
It is neccessary to have several references because then you can look at the textures and the shapes real good. They are also helpful to make your drawing look realistic. Without referneces, you won't really get all the details you need to make your animal and background look real.
3. When you look at your sketches are you able to see which sketch is the strongest and will make the best print? How do you know this?
I do know which sketch is the strongest and the best print. I know this by how much texture and contrast is in the sketch. If barely has texture, then it's not the best. If it has too much texture, then it might not be the best either.
1. Explain your experience working on a team and executing your ideas for the mural.
I thought everyone in my team had equal amount of work and we all worked together to finish the mural. I enjoyed working on a team because this was a really big project and I would have never gotten it done if I had to do it by myself. In order to execute our ideas, we had to step back and take a look at what we had done and what we still had to do. It took a while to really know what we were doing and how we were going to do it. We all worked as a team to get the mural done and have it done the way we wanted it.
2. Explain the importance of collaboration when working on a team.
When working in a team, everyone needs to collaborate in order to get the project done. This was a very long project that took at lot of time and thought. If not everyone had helped out, we wouldn't of gotten it done and it wouldn't of looked this good. Everyone had their own part to do, but we all helped one another out.
3. How successful was this project? Explain how and why.
I think the project was very successful because it actually looked pretty realistic and it was well done. In order to make it successful, we had to work all period long only stopping to figure out which colors would work best. We all worked as a team and did what we had to do to get it finished.
4. Explain how you feel about creating artwork that others can interact with. Ex. Involving the whole school?
I think interactive art is very fun for the artist and the everybody else. I thought it was really cool that people could just go up and have fun with your art. Interactive art has to be really creative though because you have to make sure it'll look believable when people interact with it. You also have to alter some things, for example we had to tilt the Leaning Tower of Pisa more. Overall, I thought interactive art was very fun.